NeedleWorks Galore

This is my story. I love creativity - whether it be sewing, quilting, embroidery, knitting, photography, or nature. Woodworking has always interested me. I am a widow of two years who is learning to create a new life and a new me. I have would probably have a whole menagerie of pets if I didn't stop myself. I am a child of God, learning to live my life for him in a way that pleases him. I hope by sharing a bit of my day to day story, someone will be blessed.

Thursday, April 18, 2013

WATER WATER EVERY WHERE AND NARY A DROP TO DRINK

Today's flood forecast has also included a small bit that said our two major rivers here would probably not peak until Labor Day weekend. That is September in case you forgot. This means that there will be no boating, no tubing, no walking on the river trail and no water taxi this summer. Earlier in the week they thought it might turn out to be the same as the 2009 flood. Not so! After having their meetings with there North, South Dakota and Minnesota counterparts, our flood forecast has been upgraded. Ours though still will not be as bad as Fargo North Dakota. They had already placed one million sandbags and this week they are placing another 500,000 or more. The one million would have covered a once in 400 year flood (same as the 1997 flood), but now they had to change everything. And thanks to the way God made the world all waters from those states as well as Saskatchewan flow into our great province. Guess when they settled this area they did not realize it was a huge lake bed. The lake at that time was call Lake Agassiz which slowly dried up and became two large lakes and many smaller ones. By the way all this water will eventually flow into James Bay and then on out to the Arctic Ocean. It actually is very interesting to watch a flood progress from all that snow, to water everywhere, to really full rivers, to nothing. As I said in a previous post, there are still a lot of people displaced from previous floods and now this will make even more have to give up their life long homes.

This week has certainly been a hard one for those in the US and I would like to remind you all to continue to pray for them all. I cannot imagine the trauma that those bombs caused and how those people were really enjoying the day and the race and then poof - life changed in an instant. It is hard to fathom in ways, but it is one of the many ways God uses us to remember to pray not just for ourselves and our family and small world, but to get out there and pray for everyone. Then with that fire and fireball in Texas. Those poor people in that area tomorrow will be remembering the Waco killings of years before and then now this. God really does use tragedy to bring beauty from ashes. I will look forward to seeing how his glory shines through the things all these people went through this week.

Had a wonderful afternoon out with my granddaughter last Saturday. It was the big 7th birthday. Her party with school friends is not until this weekend and our family get together was not held until this past Monday, I thought to myself what a perfect opportunity for us to have a tea party. Since she was less than 2 years old she has loved tea parties. I always put out all my fine china, my good linens, whatever flowers are around and of course the full nine yards for food - finger sandwiches, scones, goodies and tea. She would always sneak into the garage to invite granddad. Granddad loved food and so was delighted to attend the tea parties. Us gals always dress fro the occasion; dresses, jewelery and hats and along would come granddad in his grungiest jeans - the ones with the holes in the knees and thighs and his "outside" chore shirt. His shirt was a castoff golf shirt from golfer son. It has an array of paint, grease, sweat, grass stains and whatever else on it. He would show up in his finery and Dakota would feel mighty special that granddad came. This is the first tea party since Glenn passed away. I knew she would talk about him and I knew that I needed to do something special. I printed a picture of him at one of the previous tea parties where he was wearing all his finery. I also printed one off of Roscoe our Bichon that I had to put down just before Christmas. We went to a tea house in a town nearby and I had them set an extra place for granddad. We had sandwiches, soup for me, apples and chips for her. We were treated to the best Chai cheesecake I ever had. My tea was called Buckingham afternoon, and the little miss had granddad's favorite - Raspberry.  Dakota was so excited and in the end she declared it was the best birthday she had ever had. She is looking forward to our next adventure. I think I will call them our Tea Adventures and will maybe have to do a scrapbook for her. Of course there were presents involved which she loved. I did hold one gift back until the family party. It was a shrug sweater I knit. I can hardly wait to see her in it.\next week I have two grandsons birthdays which just happen to be on the same day. They are nine years apart. So, I need to come up with an adventure for a 12 year old who has Asberger's Syndrome and an adventure for a 4 year old. I will not do them on the same day as I think that each should have a special day.

Well, that is life this week. Hope you all are enjoying the new green grass, the birds singing, the early flowers and the smell of damp earth. I can hardly wait for my turn.

Blessings to you all

Jean

No comments: